Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Almost One Year Later

I think I will become better at this now that I am almost officially retired. That will be on May 29, 2009 but due to back surgery on April 30, April 29 was my last day. I was disappointed that I couldn't finish out my last year because I had the best classes I have had in years. They are a great bunch of kids. However, the neurosurgeon said I couldn't wait. I had a cyst that was just larger than a marble and as solid between my nerve and my L5 vertibrate. The surgery went very well. The surgeon was afraid he would have to scrape it off my nerve but it popped off. I have a massive indention on my nerve and it will take 3 to 6 months to completely heal. I am really stuck in my bed. I can walk around some but I can only sit for about 20 minutes at a time. This is not exactly how I hoped to begin my retirement. I had so much psyatic nerve pain that I left school in tears every night. That pain is gone but both my legs ache most of the time. I will be released on May 29 after which I hope they put me in physical therapy to strengthen my legs. My lesson through all of this is patience at which I am not very good.

1 comment:

US said...

Congrats on all the years you have been teaching! You are such an inspiration! We love you!